Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Service Learning 5/15

On Thursday's service learning meeting, the elderly care group actually went out and did something for a change, and boy was I glad. It was about six of us, because two students go to the library to help out with the ESL classes. For the rest of us, we wanted to make things happen, so we were off. First we went to the park, where Mr. Todd showed us a newspaper, and told us that the month of May was seniors month. He then told us to examine the paper, and see if we find anything interesting that we could possibly do. I found something interesting which was a seniors arts and crafts class, happening right then and there so it was too late, but I never knew there were so many activites for seniors to do. Then we left the park, and heading to the nursing home where Jada and I went last year in the garden group; Saint George. Jada, Ashley, and myself went in to talk to the lady Agnes who we spoke to on the phone. She was really busy with a long distance phone call, and school was about to be over for us, so we just left an email, and telephone number and took her business card. She said our idea sounds like a good one, and thinks something shall happen. Also, while there, lots of seniors talked to us, and were quite interested in what we were doing. One guy even called us cute young lady's, while another lady asked us to bring flowers again. I do look forward to going to the nursey home again, because you always get something positive out of it.

A. I got frustrated a couple times who we were never doing anything just always planning.
It was like everytime we had aservice learning meeting the flew by, and nothing got done, just always talking about what we needed to do.
However last Thursday, we finally made progress by going there and talking to the people about our mission and what we wanted to do.
Also, a time when I became doubtful is thinking that we're not going to get anything done but I was proved wrong. Mr. Todd told us that right now, we're just getting our feet wet, and what we want to do will probably happen more in the fall of nex year, and that does sound reasonable.

B. Through service learning I've learned the art of patience. You can't always get what you want, and you just have to wait sometimes and see how things come through, even if it isn't how you want them. In the end if we work hard enough, we'll probably get done with what needs to be done.

C. Through this experience, I've learned that seniors aren't boring, they always have wonderful things to share and tell about their life experience day by day. I've also learned that they have a seniors month, and that they have tons of activities they do to keep theirselves entertained.

D.Through service learning, I've learned about myself, that I really like to get things done. If I have a goal, I want to achieve it and settle for nothing else. I guess that explains why I got so annoyed with the whole patience thing, but in the end I learned things take time, and you just have to wait to see how they turn out.

No comments: