Thursday, May 8, 2008

Of Mice and Men Quiz

1.  Do you know of a situation, when you had a friend like Lennie, who wasn't able to take up for themself and you had to be George?
-I know of many situations when people have friends like Lennie and they have to be the George of the friendship. One major example is when bullies are involved. They tend to pick on the more vulnerable people than the ones who are more outspoken. George would come into play, by taking up for his friend and telling the bully to back off. Many of these events occur more than once in the novel Of Mice in Men with these two main characters George and Lennie. George being the protective shield to Lennie, the prey.

2. How was the event of Lennie killing Curly's wife, similar to Bigger killing Mary Dalton ?
-I believe the killing of Curly's wife was similar to killing of Mary Dalton because both Bigger and Lennie we're alike in those murders. Believe it or not both Lennie and Bigger became nervous and scared, and that was what caused the two deaths of the women. Lennie became afraid that someone would hear Curly's wife and then get in trouble by George. Bigger was afraid Mrs. Dalton would find him in Mary's room, and he would get fired. As you have it, both women's death in Of Mice and Men and Native Son are very similar thanks to the characters that killed them.

3. What do you think was going through Lennie's head when he came to the conclusion that Curly's wife was dead?
-Because Lennie is mentally ill, I'm guessing when he found out that Curly's wife was dead he must have felt confusion more than anything. He felt as though George would be mad at him, for again getting in trouble at a new place, and because of that he wouldn't be able to tend the rabbits. You can tell he was feeling scared and nervous at the same time because he went right to the secret hiding place George showed him if something was to happen. I can imagine that's how Lennie must've felt.

4. Have you ever been in a sitauation when you were told not to get in trouble but you did anyway? (Lennie for example)
-I've been in plenty situations when I was told not to do something but did it anyway. I can't remember exactly what they were but I know one great example. that is when a parent tells a child not to touch the hot stove and they do it anyway. The outcome of that is the child get's burnt for not listening to their parents. Although George isn't Lennie's parent, he looks out for him because he knows what's best and what and what not Lennie can do. Whenever Lennie disobeys George, the outcome is usually bad. Just like a child disobeying their parent.

5. Have you ever found yourself being a human predator to someone in a worst state than you like Curly, Carlson, and even Crooks?
-I think it's in human nature to attack someone when they are feeling or doing worst than you. I personally can recall a situation when I've done that but it wasn't on a serious level. My time came when I was failing math class, in junior high. I found a couple of other kids who were failing too, and we all compared grades. Out of all of them my failing grade was the highest, and I kind of took that opportunity to rub it in their faces even though that was stupid because in the end we were all failing higher grade or not. From then, I learned making someone feel bad doesn't make you a good person, unless they deserve it, and in most cases they don't.

6. How do you think George felt when after murdering Lennie for what he did.
-Overall, I think George had many emotions he was feeling but I think he was feeling sad. He knew whatever Lennie had done it wasn't on purpose but on accident because of his disability. I also know he more than likely was angry with himself right after it happened because again of Lennie's disability. I think in the back of George's mind he wasn't intending to kill Lennie but maybe escape with him again, just like in Weed.

7. Can you infer, what happened after George shot Lennie. What do you think George's life is like. Choose his ending.
-I believe after killing Lennie George did return to the ranch and continue with his life. Although he is clearly not over the death of Lennie he has to go on with life. I think his plan with Candy is dropped because Lennie isn't around and things just aren't the same. For George life is hard, and he does think if Lennie often, but there's nothing he can do but continue with life on the ranch until something better comes along.

8. How do you think Curly felt when he first found out that his wife was dead?
-I think Curly was mad more than anything that his wife was dead. Not because she was dead, but because she was killed by a man that he hated; Lennie. Slim even told him to stay with his wife, but no instead he wanted to go after Lennie and kill him himself. When the news came to him that George had killed Lennie he was probably more angry then before. for the simple fact he wanted to kill Lennie himself. Curly seems that selfish, it wasn't about his wife, it never was it was just being bossy and taking things into his own hands.

9. How do you think Candy felt when Lennie died? (Think of his plans with Lennie and George)
- I think Candy felt a sense of defeat when Curly's wife and even Lennie died because the plans just don't matter anymore. They could still matter to George and himself but I don't really think so. From the point on when Curly's wife was killed it was all over for the threesome. I think Candy is just gonna be in the same position until he dies, if that isn't too harsh to say. In all truth you never know if him and George did continue their plans.

10. Compare yourself with one of the characters. who are you most like and why?
- if I had to compare myself with someone it definately would be Curly's wife. I'm definately not married to a loser, and not planning on being murdered by a mentally ill person, nor promiscuous but at times I feel lonely. Each day I am surrounded by tons of people I love, but I still feel alone, because I just don't feel understood. I feel as though people don't get me, because of my personality and I do tend to isolate myself from people because of how human nature is. In the end like Curly's wife I have a dream of becoming a movie star too, and I don't want anything to hold me back or have any regrets and end up dead, lonely and miserable like Curley's wife.

No comments: