Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Service Learning; Primary Elections

Yesterday, I did 10 of my independent service learning hours by working with the Commitee of Seventy. Jada, Morgan and myself were the only kids there, but I can say we handled it pretty well. When Morgan and I first arrived, we were put in a room with the phones and lap top computers placed right in front of us. Without a second to waste, the phones began to ring off the hook. I was a bit nervous to answer because it was my first time, and I didn't know how to react toward a situation. Throughout the day, the phone calls came and came, and the questions weren't particulary easy to answer by myself so I recieved help from the older and much more experienced people in the room. About halfway through the day, Morgan, Jada and I were moved to another station because more volunteers came in and everyone deserved an equal chance. We were put on another computer to correct some of the mistakes made on the incident forms. From this whole experience I had only TWO rude people, and the rest were pretty fair. I shared a laugh with a couple of people, and I liked at the end of the call I was able to help answer someone's questions. From this experience I was able to meet a ton of new people and experience the work and patience it takes to sit and listen to ones questions. The most memorable thing I will remember from this is the guy who filed a complaint because someone left blood all around the bathroom at the voting poll! Yesterday I said I probably wouldn't do it again, but in fact I would. I'm looking forward to doing it again in November.

No comments: